Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Worst. Book. Ever. Review of "A Moral Dilemma" by Zara Kingsley

Oh dear GOD. I have tutored ESL middle-schoolers with a better grasp of grammar, syntax, and basic sentence structure that this woman has. There were errors on EVERY page. Often there were multiple errors. I am not being hyperbolic for dramatic intent--I could not find a single page in which the writing was correct.

For example, on one page, she refers to an eatery as a "brassiere". Twice. Really? Your characters will be dining in lingerie? It's called a "brasserie", you uneducated dimwit. On that same page, she describes the male character as "taking the reigns". Also twice. Erm, so I guess he is taking over the throne of England? Better inform the King.

She also misuses vocabulary, often laughably. Early in the book--page 17--she tells us that the male character is "reticent" about buying an expensive flat. She later describes how he absolutely does not want to spend the money. He sure as hell isn't reticent, then. Seems fairly communicative to me. Buy a dictionary, Ms. Kingsley.

This should have been a clue; but because I refuse to let my Goodreads friends subject themselves to this horror, I persevered. Oh, and later in the book, she forgets a character's name TWO LINES later. Criminy. That is the fastest name change in the history of time.

I hope by all of the gods of literature that this abysmal mess was self-published. If not, the editors need to look elsewhere for employment because they are horrific at this position. Other folks described the book as funny--honestly, the only humor I could discern was how laughably bad it was.

Ms. Kingsley may be a lovely person; but I beg of you, Ms. Kingsley, by the swirling-rapidly-in-his-grave ghost of Shakespeare, please don't foist another book on the public.


P.S. On a side note, the author describes herself as a "Yummy Mummy". She may be hotter than a ghost chili, but cripes. Way to pat yourself on the back. Granted, that little blurb has nothing to do with this crapfest of a book but it annoyed the bejeezus out of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment